Criteria Comments Rating
- Features Front- and rear-facing cameras, expandable storage via microSD, GPS, bluetooth, WiFi, infrared transmitter to control devices. Proprietary Samsung ports/cables.
- Display 1024x600 would be less than ideal on a device any larger, but this display works really well at this size (7")
- Battery life Lasts all day with regular use
- Ease of use If you can use any other Android (Ice Cream Sandwich v4.x) device, you can use the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
- Storage capacity Only 8GB out of the box, but expandable via microSD
- Design and form factor I find 7" to be the perfect size for portability and usability. Thin and light. Much easier to hold for extended periods of time than the iPad or Galaxy 10"
- Portability (size / weight) I find 7" to be the perfect size for portability and usability. Thin and light. Much easier to hold for extended periods of time than the iPad or Galaxy 10"
- Durability So far, so good. I doubt it's got Gorilla Glass at this price-point. The back is metal, however, and I suspect it could take quite a bit of abuse.
I'd been thinking about an e-reader or tablet for a while, but nothing seemed to perfectly suit my needs. I wanted something for occasional reading and surfing (without having to open up my laptop and revive it from sleep every time), so I couldn't justify the expense of an iPad or other 10" tablet. I grabbed this one on a whim, as neither the Nook nor the Kindle Fire felt like "real" tablets to me. They seemed a lot cheaper in terms of build quality and general 'feel' in your hand. I've found myself using it far more for media than I ever intended. The built-in television/cable remote app is quite cool, and the TWC (Time Warner Cable) app is quite solid when it works (it's very buggy). Accessible microSD slot is huge. Add an extra 32GB for as little as <$30. I have no use for the cameras -- definitely have no plans to use the front-facing camera (maybe the rear for Skype) -- and would prefer to leave them off and slash the price even further.
0 people find this review helpful
Edited comment on Durability
Features rating changed from 3 to 4
Edited comment on Features