Criteria Comments Rating
- Speed and features For its day, this system performed very well, but lagged a little too far behind when it came to video performance. A problem that Dell never addressed.
- Design and form factor There are many thoughtful design decisions; the most important being the very competently designed hinge. The generous power cord lengths is still much loved.
- Battery life Gaming notebook. There is nothing more to say. Never got more than an hour and a half of non-gaming use.
- Display A 17" display is a blessing. The display is still gorgeous.
- Durability Unlike so many notebooks that I have owned or used over the years, the hinge is still solid after years of use. Nothing has ever broken or come loose.
- Expandability This notebook never lived up to the promise. I got exactly one graphics upgrade; and Dell won't support the notebook with Windows 7. Very disappointing.
- Noise You know what you are getting with this sort of system . . . and it ain't silent operation. ;)
- Portability (size / weight) Gaming notebook. No better or worse than expected.
This notebook has soured me on gaming notebooks. The graphics performance never came close to desktop caliber, and Dell only made one upgrade available. Worse, Dell refused to support this notebook when Windows 7 was released, and that came less than two years after I bought it. Given the cost of this notebook, these short comings are hard to forgive.
0 people find this review helpful