Criteria Comments Rating
- Media support I'd really love it if the Apple TV 2nd-gen supported 3rd party codecs (or codec plugins), but what it does play, it plays very well.
- Video quality Solid for for basic HD, but lack of 1080p support at this point is kind of unacceptable.
- Audio quality Same as video quality, supporting only 5.1 surround and not 7.1 surround at this stage in the game is pretty disappointing.
- Ease of use In terms of setup and use, it's unrivaled. And pairing the Apple TV with the later versions of the Remote app for iPad and iPhone is absolutely amazing.
- Design and form factor You're really not going to get much better than this in terms of size, design, and power consumption.
The list of things I'd change in the Apple TV 2nd-gen is very short. I'd love if it had a browser (although it's obvious why it doesn't), and the codec support, lack of 1080p, and lack of 7.1 surround leave something to be desired. But for $99, it's a slam dunk, even if it's simply an inexpensive companion to your other more expensive / fully-featured / complicated-to-use media device.
100 people find this review helpful